Once you have a seen the Epiphone Hummingbird acoustic guitar you will instantly recognize it the next time you see it. With its captivating classic looks, good quality construction, rich acoustic sound, reliable performance, and durability it will be surprising if people who know their instruments could find any serious faults with it. For its class it is reasonably priced and it is easily available.
Some musicians feel that the guitar chooses its player and not the other way round. This guitar has the ability to choose most people. This is due to its ability to give value to both the average users and the pros alike. The professionals of course have many more options but this guitar will not disappoint them and some may even consider it as a good backup option.
- Hardware is made from chrome
- Scale is 25.5 inches
- Nut width is 1.68 inches
- Body: Made from mahogany
- Rosewood fret board
- Solid Spruce top
- Split parallelogram inlays
- Heritage Cherry Sunburst finish
The back and sides of the Epiphone Hummingbird is made from mahogany and it has a solid spruce top whose performance improves as it gets older.
Traditionally most flat top soundboards are made from spruce because it is strong and light. Its grains are straight which give it a sweet voice and good response. Mahogany is a great choice for the body due to its bright, tight sound. It is this clever combination of mahogany and spruce that gives the Epiphone Hummingbird the ability to deliver a balanced tone with nice bass and good projection. The rosewood fingerboard is balanced and stable giving clarity and bite to every chord and note. The split parallelogram inlays look sharp.
The 14 degree angled headstock gives sufficient pressure at the nut to deliver more sustain with less tuning problems. The Epiphone chrome tuning machines and the rosewood bridge keep the tuning solid and you won’t need to tune this guitar often.
It is hard to review the Epiphone Hummingbird acoustic guitar because there is hardly anything going against it, but after taking into consideration the opinion of several seasoned musicians playing different types of music, this is what we have:
- The Epiphone Hummingbird is perfect for finger picking. For its cost this guitar produces sound of astonishing quality. It has a ringing bass sound when strummed directly over the hole. Strumming it close to the bridge produces treble heavy sound. The richest sound comes when strumming over the high frets. It has a lot of variety for all sorts of music.
- It has very pleasing looks especially with the picture of a hummingbird, flowers and a butterfly over the pick guard.
- The factory setup is good but some people have found the need to do a setup of their own. Then some people also feel that any guitar should be professionally setup once to adjust it to the users playing style, string size, etc.
- It stays in tune for longer time than other guitars. Most people don’t find the need to retune it more than once in a month. You can play it for fairly long hours without any need to retune it.
- It is very durable and reliable. For performances most people will have a backup, but most of the time there will be no need to fall back on it. Everything is put together nicely and that makes it a very sturdy guitar. You won’t find any loose ends or worry areas.
- The strings are spaced nicely, so people with thicker fingers will find it convenient and this comes without sacrificing the sound quality.
- Does not come with a case. You have to buy a separate Epiphone case.
- The pick guard could get scratched with rough use though it does not affect its performance in any way.
- There is an occasional vibrating sound from other nearby strings when you play it but that can be easily fixed by adjusting the bend in the neck.
The Epiphone Hummingbird acoustic guitar has the right combination of looks, durability, sound quality, affordable pricing and good reviews that even the professionals acknowledge. For the average guitar player this will be an excellent guitar to have. You could make it look even better by replacing the tuners with golden tuners to match the strings. Irrespective of the kind of music you play, this guitar will give you great results and long hours of use without any problems or the need to retune. It is built with quality materials and is sturdy enough to give you many years of trouble free usage.